Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday Find-Day: Friday Stikes Back!

Hey, Breakfast-lubbers. It's been a while since my last Friday Find-Day post--or any post, really--so what better way to get back in the swing of things than by providing you with some quality, time-draining Youtube links?

The first link is to a new subreddit I found, featuring links to Youtube Haikus. For those of you unfamiliar with Youtube Haikus--as I was before discovering this subreddit--they are the super-condensed, straight-to-the-funny, ADHD versions of Youtube videos, which themselves already pander to Internet-ADHD.

The Orwellian snark in me wants to point out that, since the emergence of Internet pop-culture and since we've become more connected as a culture in general, our attention span has diminished. To quote every old man comment-thread lurker ever: "We get our news in soundbites. Kids these days--what with their iPhones and Fap Parties--don't have the same patience we did; to actually read books and be thoughtful. If something isn't neatly trimmed down to a less-than-1-minute Youtube video, we don't have the patience for it. Blah blah blah." But the party guy in me--the guy who's too busy spiking the punch bowl at the Winter Formal and getting laid, old man!--genuinely enjoys that there is a subreddit dedicated to making already digestible Internet filth even more digestible under the pretext that they're reconfiguring Youtube videos into "poetry."






The links provided are the funniest ones I've found thus far--but I'm still new to this Youtube Haiku-thing, so I'm sure there are funnier ones.

The second link is to a video (though you won't find any moving images in this video, because it's actually just audio) of Stephen Colbert reading Ray Bradbury's "The Veldt," which as I found out last night had just as much to do with the genesis of Stephen King's The Shining as John Lennon's "Instant Karma" (the title taken from the line in the song: "We all shine on!"). This is exciting news for me since I am one of those people mentioned in the reviews for the recently-released documentary Room 237 who is inexplicably obsessed with The Shining-- in all its manifestations (book, movie, mini-series, etc.). If you're like me, any insight into the world of the Overlook is vastly interesting--as is listening to this story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSoigRHHNLM&feature=related

The final link is to a documentary I found this past March, whilst holed up at my parents' with Late Winter's Disease. It was shot by a then-high-schooler, profiling "dirty" grunge girls--back when that was a thing (the 90's) and not just something people who read Vice do because they, "like, did the Bethany Consentino thing last year or whatever" and misremembered-grunge is this year's new retro-obsession.



For someone still in high school, the documentary is pretty impressive. And if you're interested in seeing how the two sisters profiled turned out, they both have their own Youtube channels. So...stalk them, I guess?

Also: if you haven't yet checked out Jim's heartbreaking 2-part post of staggering genius, which I admit is quite lengthy (clocking in at approximately 6,357 Dennetts-long), I highly encourage you to do so. After all, he took the time to write the thing, right? And if you're not reading it--well then, you're just being rude.



No comments:

Post a Comment